another newbie question

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Wed Apr 20 02:35:29 PDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 05:08:40PM -0400, ricardo at igotbsd.org wrote:

>   Hi all,
>   Been playing around with FreeBSD for a couple of months. Just configured
> my .muttrc, and I'm able to send messages but not to receive. I read the
> man pages and followed the instructions but still it's not working. Am I
> missing something here?

Well, yes.  mutt is a mail reader, and that is all it does.  It doesn't
send mail, it doesn't receive mail, it doesn't even have an editor to
call its own.

In order to send email, mutt sends its output to sendmail (or your
site's MTA).  To receive mail, you need to have an SMTP server running.

If you want to collect mail from your ISP's server, you will need to
configure mutt with your POP or IMAP account details (instructions for
both are on the mutt.org website), or use a third party program such as
fetchmail to poll the remote server for you and download any waiting
messages.

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \