[freebsd-questions] Turn off monitor

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Tue Apr 19 10:46:37 PDT 2005

Ivan Voras wrote:

> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>

>> On the (syscons(4)) console, you can enable screen blanking as a
>> screensaver in its own right.  You would load either the "green" or
>> "apm" screen saver (available as kernel modules) and enable it with
>> vidcontrol(1).  I don't think you can trigger it by hand.
>

> I tried both (before posting the question) - green_saver just blanks
> the screen
> (doesn't turn it off), and apm_server misbehaves - just 'freezes' the
> screen without
> any other effect. I know turning it off works because, well, it works
> ok in Windows...
>

>> Under X, of course, doing what you want it easy.
>

> Turn the monitor off? How?

Hmm, from XF86Config(5):

              Some Option flags that may be useful to include in
Monitor  sec-
              tions (when needed) include "DPMS", and "SyncOnGreen".

Now, I have:

    Option   "DPMS"

          in /etc/X11/XF86Config, and my monitor does what I call "sleeping"
after a period of inactivity, but I can't say how this really coincides with
the current discussion, as I'm jumping in mid-stream and can't even seem
to find Lowell's reply to you anywhere (other than what you quoted).

Hmm, what about acpi(4) ?

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey