Startup scripts question

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Tue Apr 19 08:38:17 PDT 2005

--On Monday, April 18, 2005 08:05:37 PM -0700 Joshua Lewis
<joshua.lewis at prideindesign.com> wrote:

> How do startup scripts work?
>
> I added:
>
> mysql_enable=²YES²
>
> But I don¹t think it is working. I had rebooted my system the other day
> and my mail server stopped working (postfix reading from mysql tables)
> and I tried looking at my running processes:
>
> ps ­ax |grep sql

Did you look in /var/log/messages for any errors?  Did you look in
dmesg.boot?

> and nothing was returned. So I guessed mysql was not running.
>
> I tried:
>
> mysql start

That won't work.  Look at the startup script and you'll see why.

> and I got a socket error. I usually get this error when SQL was not
> started properly. So I ran
>
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh start
>
> And low and behold it was all working.

Sounds like something is preventing it from starting properly during the
boot process.

 So how do startup scripts work.
> Did I add the wrong value to my /etc/rc.conf file?
>
> Or did I miss something somewhere?
>
> Does the entry in /etc/rc.conf correlate to the startup script. Should I
> change my rc.conf file to read
>
> mysql-server_enable=²YES²

No.  mysql_enable="YES" is the correct value.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member