Starting applications automaticaly

Darren Henderson darren at nighttide.net
Mon Apr 18 06:36:59 PDT 2005

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005, Brian Kinsey wrote:

> That is not working. If I start a terminal window and save current session,
> the terminal window is there again when I log back in. The same does not
> happen with xbattbar.

You'll have to find another method for things you wish to start
automatically as root while logged in as another user, most of them less
then desireable. However, that probably isn't the issue.

I don't use xbattbar but I doubt there is any compelling reason it has to
be started as root. Check in /dev and see who has rights to r/w apm and
apmctl (on 4.x). I believe the default is root and members of operator.
Make yourself a member of the operator group.

If the permissions aren't like that on your system them change them
accordingly under 4.x or tweak /etc/devfs.conf on 5.x (not sure where in
the 5.x series this started certainly 5.2 and beyond)

As to your question... Look in /usr/local/share/apps/kdm/sessions and see
what kdm does for xfce. kdm invokes /usr/X11R6/bin/startxfce4. Take a look
at startxfce4. It essentially looks for $HOME/.config/xinitrc, if not
found it invokes /usr/X11R6/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc. The default install
doesn't create the former. If you want to change the startup then grab a
copy of the latter creating the former and alter as desired.

-Darren

Darren Henderson                                  darren at nighttide.net

                    Help fight junk e-mail, visit http://www.cauce.org/