Question using growfs with large fs

general general at undergroundsea.com
Sun Apr 17 18:12:09 PDT 2005

I am running FreeBSD 5.3 on an x86 system.  I have a 3ware 9500-s 12 port
raid controller installed.  Currently there is 8 250gig HD's attached.  I
originally created a raid-50 (two raid-5, 4 drives each) but recently,
migrated the raid-50 to one large raid-5 (which freed up one of the disks) .
After which, I went to expand the fs, but to my dismay, growfs is having
issues.  I've already set the new sizes in fdisk and disklabel.

When I do: growfs -s 3396841102 /dev/da0s1h

I get: growfs: we are not growing (727144389->536870911)

Now I obviously don't know enough about growfs to understand what's going
on, but, my guess is that it's mis-reporting the current size and/or the
size I'm giving it to expand to.  Even if I give it a larger size, the
536870911 number does not increase.  I've read Scott Long is 'in progress'
of fixing some issues with growfs, I'm just not sure if mine fall into those
categories.  If anyone could email me with some ideas on what I can do, I'd
appreciate it. Thanks.

genereal at undergroundsea.com