messages from dhclient

Joost van Dijk joost at amiculus.com
Sun Apr 17 06:51:28 PDT 2005

On Sunday 17 April 2005 15:29, Roland Smith wrote:
> Look for firewall_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf. Remove it and reboot to
> disable the firewall.

I did that and everything went fine. I also successfully updated my ports with
cvsup. So that was indeed the problem I mentioned to you a few days ago. I now
have no firewall. That is not a problem, since this machine has nothing on it
(yet).

> If you don't want to disable it, look for
> firewall_type in /etc/rc.conf and edit the relevant lines
> in /etc/rc.firewall

I had a look in there and got as far as reading the warnings "If you don't
know about packet filtering then you had better read these books ..."
followed by a list. I know someone who has these books, and can borrow them
when I am ready for it. I am still only on chapter 8 in Greg Lehey's book.
Meanwhile it is probably a good idea to go on without a Firewall turned on.

> If you currently have a "client" type firewall, setting the "net" and
> "mask" variables in /etc/rc.firewall might do the trick, depending on
> how your network is set up.

Thanks again.

Joost