mount_smbfs issue

munn munn at umd.edu
Fri Apr 15 18:41:49 PDT 2005

I am getting an inconsistency when I try to use perl to access file in a
smbfs mounted Win XP directory structure
My kernel is at 4.11p3.  Any help in resolving this problem would be
much appreciated.

# smbfs mount command which mounts a WinXP share ShareDir on my FreeBSD
# box.  The directory ~/ShareDir has rwx permissions for ugo.

sudo mount_smbfs -N -I dodo -u me -g ggg //guest at dodo/SharedDir ~/SharedDir

# directory/file structure is correct

ls -FCR SharedDir/

DirOne/     DirThree/   DirTwo/

SharedDir/DirOne:
DSCN1090.JPG*   DSCN1091.JPG*   DSCN1092.JPG*

SharedDir/DirThree:
DSCN0820.JPG*   ParkStreet.JPG* VicRooms.JPG*

SharedDir/DirTwo:
Oeuvre17.JPG*

# now look at the directory/file structure with find
# looks good
find SharedDir -print

SharedDir
SharedDir/DirOne
SharedDir/DirOne/DSCN1090.JPG
SharedDir/DirOne/DSCN1091.JPG
SharedDir/DirOne/DSCN1092.JPG
SharedDir/DirThree
SharedDir/DirThree/DSCN0820.JPG
SharedDir/DirThree/ParkStreet.JPG
SharedDir/DirThree/VicRooms.JPG
SharedDir/DirTwo
SharedDir/DirTwo/Oeuvre17.JPG

# translate the find command to perl and run the perl script
# PROBLEM the files no longer appear

find2perl SharedDir -print > testcase.pl
perl testcase.pl

SharedDir
SharedDir/DirOne
SharedDir/DirThree