Default root password for FreeBSD 4.2-RC2

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Apr 15 06:54:45 PDT 2005

> Hi,
>
> May I know the default root password for FreeBSD 5.4-RC2? My system
> was previously running FreeBSD 5.3-SECURITY. Then I set the option in
> sysinstall to 5.4-RC2 and upgrade the base distribution. After that I
> accidentally rebooted the server. Now I could no longer access the
> server.

There is none.
When FreeBSD is first installed, you are offered the option, during
installation, to specify a root password.    If that was done, then
that is it.   If not, there is no root password.   You could log in
to root without a password - a dangerous situation which should not
be left that way.

But, the system is also set up by default to disallow a root log-in
from a remote host.   So, you would have to be at the console in
order to log in as root unless that has been modified.

If you are at the console, you will need to do a boot to single user
mode, do an fsck and then mount needed file systems.  Then you can
set the root password and any config stuff to allow logins as needed.

////jerry