Default root password for FreeBSD 4.2-RC2

Abu Khaled khaled.abu at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 20:22:09 PDT 2005

On 4/15/05, MZaini <mzaini at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Section 10.12 in System Administration only addresses the issue when
> the person is on site which is not in my case. Since the default
> installation would come with its own /etc/passwd, /etc/group,
> /etc/master.passwd, /etc/pwd.db, /etc/spwd.db then I should have been
> able to login using the root account that came with the default. True
> or not?
>
> On 4/15/05, Abu Khaled <khaled.abu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 4/15/05, MZaini <mzaini at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > May I know the default root password for FreeBSD 5.4-RC2? My system
> > > was previously running FreeBSD 5.3-SECURITY. Then I set the option in
> > > sysinstall to 5.4-RC2 and upgrade the base distribution. After that I
> > > accidentally rebooted the server. Now I could no longer access the
> > > server.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > Hello...
> > The answer to you question is on the FreeBSD website. Just read the
> > FAQ -> System Administrations.
> >
> > --
> > Kind regards
> > Abu Khaled

AFAIK there is no default root password.
I checked the default files and didn't find any. It's blank.
-----
# $FreeBSD: /repoman/r/ncvs/src/etc/master.passwd,v 1.39 2004/08/01
21:33:47 markm Exp $
#
root::0:0::0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/csh
..
-----

hmmm. Does hitting <Enter> without entering a password work ?!
Sorry I really don't know.

--
Kind regards
Abu Khaled