MONO (.NET) on FreeBSD and Apache2

Tom McLaughlin tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Apr 14 18:25:59 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 16:23 -0700, Joshua Lewis wrote:
> I really want to get Mono working on a FreeBSD Apache system. I have done
> lots of searching and have not figured out how to get it properly
> configured.
>
> I merged the BSD# ports with my local ports collection
>
> I did a make install clean from /usr/ports/lang/mono-devel
>
> That installed mono 1.1.6_1

You'll need to be using Mono 1.1.7 (once it's released, Bill Middleton
has been working aginst SVN fixing numerous problems...  Bill rocks), a
recent FreeBSD -CURRENT, and Mono libmapped to libthr.

> Then I also did a make install clean from /usr/ports/www/mod_mono and
> tride to configure my httpd.conf the way they did on some tutorials
> online. But /var/log/http-error shows errors about misconfiguration.
>
> Does anyone have a working example of to configure mod_mono in Apache?
>
> I also read about some XSP or some other type of web server. I think it
> was written entirely in C# and was wondering if that is a better way to go
> rather then Apache. I prefer Apache and would rather get it working rather
> then switch to a whole new web server.

As for the relationship between Apache/mod_mono/XSP, I believe mod_mono
just passes pages to the local xsp to process the page.  XSP can also be
run as a standalone server to accept the page requests and process the
aspx pages.  I'll know more once I actually have the ability to play
with it.

In the future, you might want to use the bsd-sharp-list mailing list on
Novell Forge for questions on Mono and XSP.  Checked the link in my sig.
Thanks.

Tom

--

BSD# Project - Porting Mono to FreeBSD