Adding my CDRW device to k3b

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Thu Apr 14 17:37:27 PDT 2005

On Friday 15 April 2005 01:06, nbco wrote:
> On Friday 15 April 2005 00:00, Justin R. Pessa wrote:
> > Allo!
> >
> > I'm having problems trying to get k3b to recognize my CDRW drive. I
> > went to "Settings" > "COnfigure k3b" > "Devices". When I add
> > /dev/acd0 it says "Could not find an additional device at /dev/acd0".
>
> <snip>
>
> > I realize this is probably more a k3b problem than a FreeBSD problem,
> > but I feel as though there is something specific to FreeBSD I have
> > either missed or am over looking.
>
> Have you tried running k3b as root, if it sees your device as root.
> Then you can change the permissions for the devices or just run it as
> root
> hope this helps
> .nbco

> When I run an X app as root I get:
>
> Password:
> [root at twinturbo] /home/jstn $ k3b
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> k3b: cannot connect to X server :0.0
>
> I'm not sure how to give root permission to the X session on this
> display. Any thoughts here?

You shouldn't run as root. If running an X app as root without the X session
being run by root to begin with, you'd connect to a second X server, e.g. :1.
But you shouldn't do this at all.

Instead you should enable atapicam (and basic scsi support) in your kernel and
use /dev/cd0, the emulated scsi CDRW, instead. K3b uses cdrecord which uses
scsi devices only.

As far as root goes: per default the CD devices are owned root:operator, so
just add your username to the operator group in /etc/groups and you should be
done.

HTH,

Dan