Audiovox PC5220 EVDO in FreeBSD

Kevin spamite at ev1.net
Thu Apr 14 05:52:50 PDT 2005

I had noticed while googling previously that some people on this list
had been asking about using the Audiovox PC5220 CDMA EVDO PC Card in
FreeBSD(commonly used in the US by Verizon, and I think Vodaphone uses
the GSM version in Europe.)  Here's what I know about the card, and my
experience with it under FreeBSD, as well as GNU/Linux and WinXP, so
that others might benefit from the information.  The card seems to be a
combination of a Lucent/Agere USB OHCI HCD, and a device that acts to
the system like a REALLY fast modem.  Under GNU/Linux, the device gets
two serial ports, but only the first one is usable.  When modprobing the
usbserial driver in Linux to make it work, I have to tell the driver the
product/vendor hex to bind to.  The Product ID is 0x0112, Vendor ID is
0x0f3d.  Whenever I insert the card into my notebook booted in FreeBSD,
it immediately hardlocks the box (only powering it off works.)  The
notebook is a Toshiba Satellite P4 3.0ghz.  It seems to have an Intel
ICH5 chipset, and uses UHCI and EHCI usb interfaces.  I'm slightly
thinking there's a driver contention issue in FreeBSD among those
interfaces and the OHCI that is on the PC5220 card.  Would anyone happen
to have any ideas about where I should go next to try to make this card
function in FreeBSD?  Its the only thing stopping me from switching my
notebook to FreeBSD from Debian GNU/Linux.