rpc error on nfs

Parv parv at pair.com
Mon Apr 11 13:36:43 PDT 2005

in message <5148d13405041021293a1a97fe at mail.gmail.com>,
wrote x_patriot paracetamol thusly...

> when i try to mount  NFS on my machine,.. error  messages appear
> like :
>
> "NFS Portmap: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to send"
>
> what was wrong on my system..?

For starters, search Google.  I did, and solved my own similar
problems.  Check list comes down to ...

  - Server & client both have IP addresses such that they can find
    each other. (In my case, dhclient(8) cannot get an IP address
    after boot up; i had to start it manually on 4.x.)

  - Portmapper/Rpcbind(8) is running on client & server.

  - Nfsd(8) is registered with portmapper/rpcbind.

  - Mountd(8) is listening on a port not blocked by a firewall.  (In
    my case, mountd was opening a random port for which there was no
    allowance in the firewall.  Now i start mountd with a port that
    is open in firewall.)

  - At the end, make sure above is as intended by use of rpcinfo(8) (on
    5.x; don't know similar command on 4.x).

I could have replied just "more information" or not at all to your
post (since you have not provided much information), but i send it to
be committed to archive for my own future benefit.

  - Parv