Very slow printing with stock FreeBSD5.3 + CUPS + Gimp-Print + HPDeskJet612C

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 11 02:46:01 PDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 10:27:33AM +0100, Glyn Millington wrote:
> >> 2. In device hints add a line
> >>
> >> hint.ppc.0.flags="0x20"
> >
> > Flags=0x20 means disabling IRQ and use polling instead. If you add 0x08
> > it also puts the port in enhanced capability mode. So try flag=0x28, and
> > use 0x20 if that doesn't work.
> >
> >> AFTER the line which says
> >>
> >> hint.ppc.0.irq="7"
> >
> > You can remove this line, because flags=0x20 instructs the driver to use
> > polling instead of an interrupt line.
>
> Right!!
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Can you point me to the docs for this?  I'm very new to FreeBSD finished
> install with this printing problem  yesterday!

The flags for the ppc driver are documented in the ppc(4) manual
page. Just run 'man ppc' from the console or an xterm to view it.

More information on setting up printers can be found in §9.3 of the
Handbook.

Some things that I learned while setting up my FreeBSD workstation are
recorded at http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/freebsd/

Roland
--
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in e-mail