Anyone ever consider a filesystem served by MySQL for mail folders?

Joel rees at ddcom.co.jp
Sun Apr 10 18:25:57 PDT 2005

> > > The disadvantage is that you need to provide around 4 times as much disk
> > > space for a DB-based mailstore as you would for a normal mbox/maildir style
> > > representation, you need to provide a lot more server horsepower, you need
> > > to continuously maintain and purge old mail from the database, and you end
> > > up with your mail buried in database tables, so heaven help you if the
> > > database becomes inconsistent and you need to recover.
>
> Whereas you can repair mbox-files with your favorite editor
> and employ pretty much the same level of fancy searching
> with a couple of scripts.

I am not recommending a database to resolve this problem, but I'll note
here that a text editor for searching has its limits when the bulk of
the mail is Japanese (or any other predominantly non-Latin language).

Speaking of which, anyone know of an editor/filter combination that can
handle all the funny encodings used to make mail 7-bit safe? (Base 64
excepted, of course.)

--
Joel Rees   <rees at ddcom.co.jp>
digitcom, inc.   株式会社デジコム