Very slow printing with stock FreeBSD5.3 + CUPS + Gimp-Print + HPDeskJet612C

Anthony M. Agelastos iqgrande at asu.edu
Sun Apr 10 17:34:22 PDT 2005

Hello all,

My HP DeskJet 612C printer is printing unbearably slow (0.033 PPM). I
have a stock installation (GENERIC KERNEL) of FreeBSD 5.3 straight off
of the install CDs, and I have installed very little software thus far.
I have mainly followed the installation instructions from

http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~ranga/notes/freebsd_cups.html

It basically prints one line at a time, then pauses for a while, and
makes some noises, and then repeats. The whole single test page took
over 30 minutes to print. Does anyone have any insight/info that they
can give me to solve this problem or point me in the right direction of
solving it? I have Googled and done some searching and did not come up
with anything. I checked the CUPS documentation and forums and did not
see anything either.