Iain Dooley mail at iaindooley.com
Sun Apr 10 17:25:18 PDT 2005

hi there, not really sure if this is appropriate for this list, or if i should be sending it to the samba lists. i'll try here first.

i have a samba server which serves a few windows machines, and i also use it via sharity-light from my freebsd machine running 4.10 RELEASE. i have a script that loads my shares, and i put it in my rc.d folder (i've taken out the user and password info):

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/sbin/shlight //cessna/http /usr/home/iain/development/http/ -U * -u * -g wheel -f 775 -d 775 -P *
/usr/local/sbin/shlight //cessna/http_inertia /usr/home/iain/development/http_inertia/ -U * -u * -g wheel -f 775 -d 775 -P *
/usr/local/sbin/shlight //cessna/music /usr/home/iain/music -U * -u * -g wheel -f 775 -d 775 -P *
/usr/local/sbin/shlight //cessna/dools /usr/home/iain/dools_network -U * -u * -g wheel -f 775 -d 775 -P *

it runs fine when i start up freebsd, but when i login, i don't have access to the shares. so i put the call to the script inside my .tcshrc file, but this means that, even if i login remotely, and every time i start a new konsole session or scp something, this script runs.

does anyone have any clues as to why it wouldn't have access to the shares after running this script from inside rc.d? i really only want it to run when the machine starts up, not every time i login.

cheers

iain