BIND 9 on a dynamic ip address

Ash omniBSD at speakeasy.net
Sun Apr 10 10:49:28 PDT 2005

Andrew P. wrote:
> Ryan J. Cavicchioni wrote:
>
>> Hello, I am hoping to set up a DNS server for my home network just for
>> the sake of learning BIND. Unfortunately, I have a PPPoE connects
>> (wireless broadband) with a dynamic ip address. At the moment, I use
>> dyndns just so I have a hostname and I would like to keep using
>> dyndns. All I am looking to do is to use bind for hosts in my network
>> and have a local dns cache. I do not plan on pointing any domains to
>> my nameservers. Would this be possible? Or will there be problems that
>> I am not foreseeing? I am really new at this, that is why I would like
>> to leard bind.
>

> If you have a stable LAN ip address, it's not a
> problem. Configure BIND to listen on it and the
> dynamic address you get to use internet won't
> bother anyone (even BIND itself).
>
> On the other hand, configuring a DNS server
> listening on a dynamic IP address is a really
> bad idea.
>
> BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual is a
> good place to start (I started there a few
> weeks ago).
>
> http://www.bind9.net/manual/bind/9.3.1/Bv9ARM.html
>

> Best wishes,
> Andrew P.

Adding to Andrew's comments. If you do not have a LAN interface, you
should be able to use a loopback (lo(4) interface to test things with.
You will^H^H^H^Hshould always have lo0 up and listening to 127.0.0.1
(/8). You can bring up other instances of lo(4) with ifconfig(8) and
treat it as you would any other interface. For example if you want to
create lo1, you would type:

	# ifconfig lo1 create

If you do have a local network, you can run bind without any
difficulties on just your local network without any problems. You just
want to be sure that you don't tell your servers that they are
authoritative for a real domain (e.g. freebsd.com) or else you won't be
able to resolve any host/sub-domain from freebsd.com. You can safely
pick a non-valid domain without expecting to run into problems. An
example would be my.lan (e.g. host1.my.lan host2.my.lan). Since .lan is
not a valid TLD (at least today), you can expect to use it without
running into any collisions. I believe Cisco uses .lan as a fake "TLD"
in some of their lower end equipment (e.g. wireless APs/routers).

Good luck!

-Ash