debuging options in FBSD-5.x

heikki soerum heikkis at student.matnat.uio.no
Sun Apr 10 10:45:32 PDT 2005

Hello every fellow freebsd user.
I've been browsing the handbook and I can't quite catch how to make an
fully debugging 5.x kernel so that whenever I need to post an pr/bug it
actuallty contains useful information for the bughunters. is the
makeoptions DEBUG=-g enough? Or should the kernel be configured with
addition options so an memory dump etc. would be available?

What kernel-tunings and config changes are needed to be completely
sure to catch an kernel crash and record useful information?

At the moment I'm running an Freebsd CVS STABLE-5.4 from 08.april.2005

At the moment I have an very nasty nfs vs ata-sleep/idle kernel
panic  that reared it's ugly head after upgrading to STABLE-5
from RELEASE-5.2.1. I'l post more about this one after I've gotten an
kernel running with all debuging enabled.
After all, it's practically useless to post an PR without any debugging
available.

PS. As I'm not an regular subscriber to the mailinglist, I would like to
get any replies cc'ed to me personally.

Heikki Soerum.

--
"Throughout history it has been the inaction of those who could
have acted,  the indifference  of those  who should  have known