firefox crashing on unknown files

N.J. Thomas njt at ayvali.org
Sun Apr 10 09:49:37 PDT 2005

Firefox is crashing on me whenever I click on a link for a file whose
extension is not in the system mime.types file. (It was crashing on
every non-html link before I installed the mime-support port.)

I am almost positive this is happening because the default plugin is not
enabled -- this is what about:plugins says:

    Default Plugin

        File name: libnullplugin.so

        The default plugin handles plugin data for mimetypes and extensions
        that are not specified and facilitates downloading of new plugins.

            MIME Type       Description     Suffixes        Enabled
            *               All types       .*              No

How can I enable libnullplugin.so or else prevent this behavior?

Stats:

    FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p7
    firefox-1.0.2

thanks,