Running PPP via crontab

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Sun Apr 10 05:05:14 PDT 2005

* Andrew P. <infofarmer at mail.ru> [20050410 14:44]: wrote:
> Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> >Hello everyone,
> >
> >I have setup a FreeBSD box which a friend of mine will run as a mail
> >server/firewall in his SOHO, using dialup (modem) to his ISP. Almost
> >everything is setup and running, even ppp can work when I manually
> >run through the dialup procedure.
> >
> >I don't have much problem configuring what he will run on this box, but
> >one aspect has pinned me down. The ppp _MUST_ not run in "auto" or
> >"ondemand" modes. It must be initiated manually.
> >
> >I would like to make a crontab entry that will run ppp after every one
> >hour. I don't have a problem with crontab, but how to invoke ppp via it
> >;)
> >
> >I'd appreciate some hand-holding here. What shall I put as the command
> >that will be run by cron?
>

> 1 */1 * * * root /usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -ddial -nat mtu
>
> Something like this where "root" is the user
> to run ppp as (remove it in case you're not
> a superuser and not editing /etc/crontab),
> "-ddial" is the mode - change it to whatever
> you need, "-nat" enables nat (you can also do
> it from ppp.conf), and "mtu" is the section
> of ppp.conf to load.

Hello Andrew, et al,

I figured out I could use "ppp -background sucks" (where sucks is
the ISP label in ppp.conf). This seems to be what I am looking for,
no?? I can run it on the command line. I hope it will do same thing
via cron.

-Wash

    |\      _,,,---,,_     | Odhiambo Washington    <wash at wananchi.com>
Zzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_ | Wananchi Online Ltd.   www.wananchi.com
   |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'| Tel: +254 20 313985-9  +254 20 313922
  '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)     | GSM: +254 722 743223   +254 733 744121