segfaults when building world

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Apr 8 22:48:43 PDT 2005

fadeaway at gmail.com wrote:
[ ... ]
> One thing to note, when I buildworld it will exit at different points.
> I also confirmed this with doing `time make buildworld`, the time
> changes with each attempt as well.

If the compile were to fail in the same place, every time, there would be a
chance that it might be a problem with the source code.

However, if the compile fails in different places-- which is your case--
that's almost certainly a hardware problem such as your system overheating
under load, a marginal power supply, or bad RAM.  Check your CPU fan and other
cooling, and try running memtest.org's checker overnight and see what that
gives....

--
-Chuck