Digital Cameras

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Fri Apr 8 13:21:51 PDT 2005

On Apr 8, 2005, at 2:13 PM, Ralph wrote:

> --- "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad at shire.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 4, 2005, at 10:28 PM, Sergei Gnezdov wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a chance to get digital camers working
>> with FreeBSD?  All I
>>> need is load images from camera using USB port.
>>
>> Most digital camera's today implement the USB mass
>> storage system, so
>> you should just try and plug the camera in.  It may
>> work!
>>
>> Chad
>>

> Chad/All,
>   From experience (I have the Canon Digital Rebel) I
> can say that plugging the camera won't be as simple as
> plugging in the CFCard into a CFCard reader and then
> into you USB port as a mass storage device.  The Canon
> requires a bunch of drivers and special software even
> on the Windows box I copy stuff to.

I don't know about the Rebel, but the Canon 20D SLR can be put into two
different modes (using the on camera menus), one of which works like a
USB mass storage device (at least when plugged into my OS X computer)
and one that does not work like that.  (I remove the card and use a
reader though).  However, most consumer level digital cameras, except
the cheapest ones, do act as USB mass storage devices when plugged in.
The Digital SLR types may be different.  (And some of your special
software on windows may be to read RAW files and stuff like that).

I have used a Minolta DiIMAGE X and a Sony DSC-T1 myself as USB Mass
storage devices (under OS X) and have seen relatives use a Canon
consumer level one of some sort.  Most of the non-SLR and the
non-super-el-cheapo digital cameras work with iPhoto under OS X without
special drivers and show up on the desktop (as USB Mass Storage
devices).  I would assume they should behave the same with FreeBSD.

Note that this does not give you any sort of photo management or
anything...

It is worth a try.

Chad