Serial console connection problem

Jani Luukkanen jani at soundflows.com
Fri Apr 8 03:27:41 PDT 2005

Jonathan Chen wrote:

>On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 11:02:52AM +0300, Jani Luukkanen wrote:
>
>[...]
>

>>Ok, I presume would have to disable the "Serial terminals" section with
>>entries such as;
>>ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   ansi    off secure ?
>>

>Yes. You need to make sure that the 4th column says "off" on the 4.10
>machine; and make sure that they say "yes" on the 5.3 machine that
>you're connecting to. Make sure you do a "kill -HUP 1" on both boxes
>so that the system rescans /etc/ttys.

Ok, will try that, thanks. Although the host machine should be able to
accept connections without anything enabled from the OS side.

>>The fact that the 5.3 box bios has the built-in serial terminal feature
>>enabled doesnt affect to this one?
>>In sense that it should enable the possibility to even make bios changes
>>or install OS wherever text mode is available. (Main idea of the thing
>>is to ensure availability of the other machine)

Sorry for confusing explanation. The board has built in serial console
feature, which you can turn on from bios. This allows you to access the
machine through serial port no matter in what condition the machine
would be. (Hanging in the boot-phase or kernel dead)

Option has been set up so that the serial console replaces one of the
comports. (In this case it would be replacing Com1 in the 5.3 machine)
4.10 is of course configured with ordinary serial ports so that it would
have access to the serial terminal of the other machine.

Might be this is irrelevant but just wondering does BSD need in that
case some special conf for this purpose or just needs replacing the
getty settings. (Previously with 4.10 configuration i managed to connect
through minicom)

>I'm not sure what you're saying here. Most machines come with
>serial-ports; so yes, you can enable them to accept gettys so that you
>can access them remotely by using a serial cable.
>
>Cheers.

Thanks,

Jani