Serial console connection problem

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Fri Apr 8 02:45:45 PDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 11:02:52AM +0300, Jani Luukkanen wrote:

[...]
> Ok, I presume would have to disable the "Serial terminals" section with
> entries such as;
> ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   ansi    off secure ?

Yes. You need to make sure that the 4th column says "off" on the 4.10
machine; and make sure that they say "yes" on the 5.3 machine that
you're connecting to. Make sure you do a "kill -HUP 1" on both boxes
so that the system rescans /etc/ttys.

> The fact that the 5.3 box bios has the built-in serial terminal feature
> enabled doesnt affect to this one?
> In sense that it should enable the possibility to even make bios changes
> or install OS wherever text mode is available. (Main idea of the thing
> is to ensure availability of the other machine)

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Most machines come with
serial-ports; so yes, you can enable them to accept gettys so that you
can access them remotely by using a serial cable.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>