Serial console connection problem

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Thu Apr 7 12:27:18 PDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:23:33AM +0300, Jani Luukkanen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have an issue with serial console connection with two FreeBSD machines
> (Both with Intel SE7210TP1-E motherboard, other configured as "host"
> from bios and other has ordinary com ports which are connected with
> normal tested serial cable).
>
> Host machine is running FreeBSD 5.3 and the "client" one 4.10.
>
> Problem is that when trying to open the serial connection with tip,
> error occurs as;
>
> /root at mos root # tip com1
> tip: /dev/cuaa0: Device busy
> link down

Try running fstat(1) against /dev/cuaa0 to try to find out what's
holding the device. If I understand you correctly, you're doing this
on the 4.10 machine.

> Main question is that how to get access first to the com1 port generally
> and second to get ahold of the remote screen on the other end of the
> serial cable?

Make sure that you haven't got a getty running at the same time on
both sides, and that you've got a null-modem connection between the two
hosts instead of a straight thru'.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>