sending mail between local computers

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Wed Apr 6 18:18:24 PDT 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Xian wrote:

> I have two FreeBSD boxes running sendmail, how would make it so mail
> can be sent from one box to the other?

Assuming they are both on your local network, as suggested in the
subject... You shouldn't have to do anything with sendmail. Just
configure the machines so each hostnames resolves, from the perspective
of the other machine. You could either create an /etc/hosts file on each
machine, or run DNS locally. Probably other ways as well. Let's say that
their hostnames are foo and bar - make it so that from foo you can 'ping
bar', and vice versa.

Once that works, you ought to be able to log in to foo and send mail via
your favorite MUA to 'ian at bar' - note, that's just bar, not bar.com or
anything. Likewise you ought to be able to log in to bar and send mail
via your favorite MUA to 'ian at foo'. Assuming the user exists on both
machines, of course.

I'm doing something like this with my internal mail at home, and it
works fine.

> http://www.clanger9.org.uk/computer/explain.html

Cute.

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]