Owner permissions suddenly set to -x, possible compromise?

Richard Morse remorse at partners.org
Wed Apr 6 07:55:05 PDT 2005

Hi!  I came in the morning and discovered that the file permissions on
every cgi I have on my webserver had been set to u-x,go+x.  This seems
to have changed at about 4:30a this morning.  I'm a bit worried by
this, as I can't think of anything that would cause this, and there's
nothing in any of the log files that would explain it.

Has anyone run into this before?  Can you direct me to a place I might
find more information on it?  A quick google search on "owner cannot
exec" didn't turn up anything...

Thanks,
Ricky