shell question

Richard Caley rjc at caley.org.uk
Wed Apr 6 00:48:33 PDT 2005

In article <63501.201.135.130.41.1112718721.squirrel at 201.135.130.41>, mrspock  (m) writes:

m> The problem is that I don't want to use the temporary
m> file that I used above (stdout, stderr, out), I just
m> want a "filter"

If you want to rearange the output so that all the errors are after
all the non errors, then you are going to need storage of some sort. I
think that is logically unavoidable.

There may be some kind of shuffle you can do with named pipes or
something, but those kind of things have limited storage. Any time
your command produces more error output than that space can hold, it
will be stopped. Since you are not reading that stream until the main
output is finished you'd then have a deadlock.

--
Mail me as MYFIRSTNAME at MYLASTNAME.org.uk        _O_