Copying files off Samba Server - freezes/very slow

Matt Navarre mnavarre at cox.net
Tue Apr 5 20:36:57 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 03:13 am, Gareth Bailey wrote:
> I have just upgraded the hardware of our development server. I thought
> that our file server used to be slow due to slow hardware, but now
> that we have upgraded I am a bit puzzled.
>
> Samba seems to slow or hang (top reports smbd CPU usage as 40%) when
> files are copied off the server using windows explorer on the client.

What version of Samba and FreeBSD? I was seeing the same thing on a 5.3 box
with samba 3. I didn't look into the problem that much, since the box was a
temporary solution and samba wasn't that big a deal.

I did upgrade to 5.4-PRERELEASE about a week ago, and also upgraded samba. It
helped a bit,  but didn't solve the problem. It did reduce the amount of CPU
and the length of time it monopolized the CPU by about 40%

> Can anyone sugeest a reason for this behaviour?

Like I said, I didn't look into it too much since I had a new RedHat box on
order and just assumed the box was overloaded. But to hazard a guess, I'd say
there might be some weird reaction between FreeBSD 5.3 and samba 3.

--
but transforming oneself into a helicopter of fists certainly has its appeal
as well. --Jonah Goldberg