efax with a serial 3com us robotics 56k modem

bob at a1poweruser.com bob at a1poweruser.com
Tue Apr 5 05:51:18 PDT 2005

I believe your xfax modem is what is called a winmodem.
These type of cheap modems are built just for the ms/windows market
and do not work on FreeBSD.
They are missing the onboard hardware controller which is why you
have to install the win driver that comes with it.

http://www.unixguide.net/freebsd/fbsd_installguide/index.php

The above URL has very good step by step instructions on
configurating ppp for external modem with info on how to verify if
your modem is a winmodem.