Outgoing port 113 connections

Ean Kingston ean at hedron.org
Mon Apr 4 12:42:05 PDT 2005

> My firewall keeps reporting that it denies outgoing 113 port
> connections.
>
> Why would I allow port 113 outgoing connections?  I don't seem to have
> any problems at the moment.

So that applications on your system can perform a remote ident request. I
don't know of any program that requires ident to work. Some (like ssh in
some configurations) will try it to get more information about the remote
user by trying an ident call over the network.

> Also, how would I identify which program is trying to connect to 113
> port?

$ grep 113 /etc/services
auth            113/tcp    ident tap    #Authentication Service
auth            113/udp    ident tap    #Authentication Service

You may also try sockstat, netstat, and tcpdump.

--
Ean Kingston
    E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org