Will Sempron 754 run with FreeBSD i386?

Andrew P. infofarmer at mail.ru
Mon Apr 4 09:13:22 PDT 2005

Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On Apr 4, 2005 3:33 PM, Andrew P. <infofarmer at mail.ru> wrote:
>
>>Gareth Bailey wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks. Can anyone else comment on the following points?:
>>>
>>>The 754 Sempron:
>>>
>>>- Will run in FreeBSD 4.11 i386?
>>>- Will not be faster than Sempron socket A?
>>

>>Sempron cores are identical in Socket A and
>>Socket 754 versions. Both support only 32-bit
>

> Are you sure?
> The s754 versions have an on die memory controller and a K8 core
> (although with disabled 64-bit mode), which should make it
> significantly faster then the K7 based Sempron on sA.

Yeah, it appears I got a wrong idea from some poor
article. As a matter of fact, Sempron/sA is based
on Barton core, while Sempron/s754 is a K8 sister.
The latter has an on-chip memory controller and
SSE2 instruction set supported. They are pretty
same in all other aspects though, and I still
suppose the perfomance margin is negligible.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_11599_11604,00.html

>>Sempron/754 might be a little faster than
>>it's Socket A version - but that's _only_
>>because of the chipsets for Socket 754 are
>>more advanced than Socket A ones. I would
>>generally recommend using Sempron/754, as
>>you could upgrade to Athlon 64 later and
>>FreeBSD/x64 then. On the other hand, s754
>>will be deprecated in a few years in favour
>>of s939.
>

> Even for Sempron?

Yeah, it has been announced a few times, that
Sempron/s939 will be available somewhen in 2005
"as market requires":

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_608,00.html

Best wishes,
Andrew P.