looking for jail tutorial

Bill Ding bill_ding5 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 3 16:23:15 PDT 2005

Hello,

Running 5.3-p6 on a box with two NICs.

I'm new to the list and FreeBSD in general. I'm trying
to find more documentation on jail(8) than is offered
in the man page. (I checked the Handbook but couldn't
find anything about jails. Did I miss it?) For
instance, the man page says:

NOTE: It is important that only appropriate device
nodes in devfs be exposed to a jail; access to disk
devices in the jail may permit processes in the jail
bypass the jail sandboxing by modifying files outside
of the jail.

How do I know what the "appropriate device nodes" are
for a given jail? I want to run four jails: two
webservers, DNS, mail. After testing, the DNS and
email jails will be shutdown and the services moved to
separate machines.
Also, do I configure identical Hosts files on each?
Should the jails be on different subnets for added
security or can they all be on the same subnet as the
host machine?
Any help you can give would be appreciated!

Thanx,

Bill

The word 'politics' describes the situation so well:
'poli' meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking
creatures'.