question

bob at a1poweruser.com bob at a1poweruser.com
Sun Apr 3 11:50:24 PDT 2005

YES there is something major wrong with the official handbook.  The
majority of the content is written like the reader already has good
understanding of how FreeBSD works. It is not detailed enough for
someone who has no previous experience with Unix like operating
systems.

The referenced Install guide gives clear step by step instructions.
It only uses the sysinstall process to lay down the default
operating system from cdrom. Then step by step instruction on which
/etc conf files need to be edited and with what data needs to be
added and why.  It completes side steps the many un-documented
sysinstall options as functions only necessary for advanced users.

If you were current on the content of the handbook you will see that
the handbooks complete section on firewalls has been replaced with
the complete firewall section from the Install guide we are talking
about.

AND if you had accessed the Install guide you would have see that it
is available to everyone for download and viewing on their own PC.
It is public domain and the FreeBSD-Doc group can incorporate it
into the handbook or make it a separate install guide for beginners.

The FreeBSD Install Guide is mirrored at the following sites.

http://freebsd.easyasthat.co.uk/
http://www.unixguide.net/freebsd/fbsd_installguide/index.php
http://freebsd.packards-home.net/index.php
www.a1poweruser.com