Sound problem ...

Aaron Siegel bulk_mail at siegel-tech.net
Sun Apr 3 08:17:51 PDT 2005

Faisal Gillani

I do not like the handbook instructions, read my whining bellow.  I would
recommend following these procedures for configuring your sound card. The
instruction in this email are very similar to the handbooks. Do not try to
figure out what driver you sound card using form the Hardware Notes go
directly to the /boot/loader.conf.

1 If you have added the any sound devices to you kernel configuration remove
remove them. Remove the lines
	device	sound
	device       snd_*
You may or my not have this in your kernel. If you have not added the sound
driver to your kernel the skip to the next step.

2 You can easily look all the available sound drivers in
the /boot/loader.conf. (the following list is from 5.3-STABLE, it may not
match the drivers on your system) :
sound_load="YES"                 # Digital sound subsystem
snd_ad1816_load="NO"            # ad1816
snd_als4000_load="NO"           # als4000
snd_cmi_load="NO"               # cmi
snd_cs4281_load="NO"            # cs4281
snd_csa_load="NO"               # csa
snd_ds1_load="NO"               # ds1
snd_emu10k1_load="NO"           # Creative Sound Blaster Live
snd_es137x_load="NO"            # es137x
snd_ess_load="NO"               # ess
snd_fm801_load="NO"             # fm801
snd_ich_load="NO"               # Intel ICH
snd_maestro_load="NO"           # Maestro
snd_maestro3_load="NO"          # Maestro3
snd_mss_load="NO"               # Mss
snd_neomagic_load="NO"          # Neomagic
snd_sb16_load="NO"              # Sound Blaster 16
snd_sb8_load="NO"               # Sound Blaster Pro
snd_sbc_load="NO"               # Sbc
snd_solo_load="NO"              # Solo
snd_t4dwave_load="NO"           # t4dwave
snd_via8233_load="NO"           # via8233
snd_via82c686_load="NO"         # via82c686
snd_vibes_load="NO"             # vibes
snd_driver_load="NO"            # All sound drivers

2 If you now what driver supports your card you can test the driver by using
kldload
	# kldload snd_<drivername>
You can test to see if your sound card is support by FreeBSD and load all the
sound drivers with ( I believe this will work, it has been months since I
have done this)
	#kldload snd_driver
This will test all the snd drivers.

3. You will now need to configure your /boot/loader.conf so that the driver
will load every time you reboot your computer.  Add the following lines to
your /boot/loader.conf

sound_load="YES"
snd_<sounddriver>="YES"

You can load all the sound driver with
snd_driver_load="YES"

I hope this helps

Aaron Siegel

My whining attached bellow
This is one section in the manual I do not like, I found if made configuring
the sound card more complicated than it needs to be. To add to being
complicated it was hard to determine what driver are available.  The hardware
notes,
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/hardware-i386.html#AUDIO, is not
consistant.  It names the drive that support some cards but does give the
driver used by other cards. For example, it clearly shows the Advance Asound
100 and 110 uses a sbc driver but the hardware notes does not mention what
drive supports the VIA Technologies VT82C686A. There are no man pages
written for most of the sound drivers nor are their any references to the to
them in the man pages. The only drives listed in the man pages snd_csa(4),
snd_gusc(4),  and snd_sbc(4).  Writing the man pages was no my todo list at
one time.