5.3 auto starting NFS by error

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sat Apr 2 18:56:34 PST 2005

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 09:25:42PM -0500, bob at a1poweruser.com wrote:
> I think your missing the whole point. It's not suppose to be doing
> this.  This is a release build error. In the 4.x releases the kernel
> had NFS support complied into the default kernel, but when you have
> no NFS statements in rc.conf those tasks in question are not auto
> spawned.  Why would this behavior be changed in 5.3 to one that
> consumes resources. It has to be a mistake.

No, it's just intentionally different behaviour (check the source code
history).  If you're really that concerned about the minuscule
resource usage involved, then you'd surely want to build your own
stripped down kernel anyway to remove the many other things in GENERIC
that you don't need, together with NFS_CLIENT.

> If what you assert is true then when doing a source update to 5.3
> why does these nfs tasks not auto spawn there.

They do, if you have NFS_CLIENT enabled in your kernel.

> You assertion that its designed to work that way it just plain silly
> and only means you know not what you talk about.

*laughs* Right, that must be it, Bob.

> Time to submit another bug report so maybe its gets fixed in 5.4

It's not broken.

Kris

P.S. Third request not to top-post, next time you're going in my
killfile.