From Rumiancev Alexander

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sat Apr 2 04:56:59 PST 2005

On 2005-04-02 15:01, "???????? ?.?" <rumiancev at psu.karelia.ru> wrote:
> > Have you installed GNU make with --prefix=/usr/bin lately?
> Yes. GNU make 3.80 have been installed! Can I do smf that my system
> must work, I mean "make" can good works ?

Please do not remove the freebsd-questions list from the Cc: of the
thread.  This way, others who may find the thread interesting in the
future will not be able to find all the posts in the archives.

I've fixed the quoting in your reply too, since it was messed up by your
mailer :-/

It's a bad idea to overwrite /usr/bin/make as you seem to have done.
The canonical way of forcing packages to use GNU make instead of BSD
make is to set MAKE in your environment:

	% setenv MAKE gmake
	$ MAKE=gmake ; export MAKE

I don't know what parts of /usr you have overwritten, but you might get
everything related to BSD make to work again by installing BSD make
again.  If you have a /usr/obj tree around from a relatively recent
buildworld, you can install BSD make manually by copying files from
/usr/obj:

	# install -m 0555 -o root -g wheel \
	    /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/make/make /usr/bin

If you don't have a /usr/obj tree around, copying a make binary from an
existing installation in another machine may work too.

- Giorgos