sendmail

wizlayer wizlayer at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 14:45:43 PST 2005

On Friday 01 April 2005 04:42 pm, Gert Cuykens wrote:
> On Apr 1, 2005 9:59 AM, Erik Nørgaard <norgaard at locolomo.org>
wrote:

> > > Its 5.5mb and my gmail doesnt want to sent it :(
> > >
> > > So how do you do that with the sendmail command ?
> >
> > As everyone else notes, this is not a job for e-mailing. Even
> > if you want to e-mail the file, it is not a job for sendmail.
> > When you send attachments they are typically base64 encoded,
> > this explodes the file from 5.5MB to about 8MB.
> >
> > You can cut it up in two ways: Use transcode to make shorter
> > clips and send separately or convert the file to base64, then
> > cut it up manually and ask your friend to concateneate the
> > attachments and deconvert from base64.
> >
> > The second option is the low tech - transcode is not designed
> > to be user friendly.
> >
> > But, as everyone suggest: Setup anon ftp, an apache
> > webserver, or give ssh access - all of these are faster,
> > simpler and better. This is posible if you are not NAT'ed and
> > have a reasonably fixed ip.
> >
> > Erik
>
> well i can setup a ftp but then i have to leave my pc on all
> the time , people need to sleep you know and i cant sleep whith
> PRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR in the background. irc wasnt
> made to sent files either and look at it now , its more popular
> then ftp :)
>
> So how do i get a movie in my friends mailbox using sentmail ?
> I was thinking in de lines of sendmail -t blabla at blabla.bla -a
> movie.mpeg -m hello.txt -s hello ?

Just use the mail command. (the man page for mail is smaller)

Why don't you just use your favorite mua to send it?  What about
using something like icq, ymessenger, etc?

As far as the RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR in the background...  I sleep
well with it (in fact, if the three boxes in my room were to stop
RRRRRRRRRRRing I would most likely wake up).  :)

WizLayer

"Now I lay me down to sleep.
I trust the Puff my LAN to keep.
Crackers come as whackers may,