Best Practice for Allowing non-root Users Access to Serial Port?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Apr 1 11:46:35 PST 2005

Roland Smith writes:
>Since you want to dial out, I think you'll need to use /dev/cuaa*.

	This turns out to be a much better choice than /dev/ttyd0.  I
forgot about those serial devices completely because I was focused on
the ttyd* devices.  The cuaa devices at least in FreeBSD4.11 are owned
by uucp but are in a group called dialer and have a mode of 660
already set meaning I don't have to do anything but put those who
would use them in the dialer group.  Problem solved!

	Again, thanks to everyone who responded.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group