xorg stuff needed on web server?

Francisco Reyes lists at natserv.com
Fri Apr 1 06:17:43 PST 2005

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Kiffin Gish wrote:

> I noticed that there is a bunch of xorg installed on my web server for some
> reason:

They may be dependencies

> xorg-clients-6.8.2  X client programs and related files from X.Org
> I was just wondering, do I really need all that xorg stuff for a simple web
> server

Probably not. Perhaps you installed a package that required them.

>, or is it safe to run a pkg_delete on these items without breaking
> any other packages?

There is a port, pkg_tree which you can install and see all dependencies.
There are other ways, but I find pkg_tree to be easy to use/visualize.

> unless xorg is available, so does anyone know which ones these might be?

There are many :-(

You can also
cd /var/db/pkb/<pkg_name>
cat +REQUIRED_BY

That will show you which packages depend on a particular port..

To find which ports depend on xorg you could try
cd /var/db/pkg
find . -name "+REQUIRED_BY" -exec grep -li xorg {} \;

Hope that helps.

--
http://stringsutils.com
Utility for developers. Compute length, MD5, CRC and more.