Setting up network

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Fri Apr 1 03:50:06 PST 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 10:26:13PM -0500, Anthony M. Agelastos wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> While we are on the topic, after the hostname and domain have been
> setup from the initial installation, how can they be changed? I went
> through the FreeBSD manual and some Google searching and did not come
> up with anything that made any sense. I assume there are files to be
> edited, probably under /etc. I am just not sure what all of them are.
> Any assistance (or reference to a site that will explain this to me)
> will be greatly appreciated (I am a newbie to UNIX and especially
> FreeBSD).

In /etc/rc.conf, the variable $hostname sets the machine's name at
startup.  Simply edit the value set here, and next time the machine
starts up, the new hostname will be set.

To change it in a running system without rebooting, use hostname(1):

# hostname new.machine.name

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \