Freebsd 5.2.1 Performance Woes

MikeM zlists at mgm51.com
Thu Sep 30 06:13:57 PDT 2004

On 9/29/2004 at 11:27 PM TM4525 at aol.com wrote:

|I'll post some numbers after trying it. But its pretty frightening to
|think that one release has such major changes. Sounds like (yet another)
|crapshoot. ...

If you had taken the time to read and understand the release notes you
might not have led yourself down this path of misunderstanding.

The developers have been very up front with the fact that the 5.x releases
up to and including 5.2.1 have all been development-oriented debugging
releases that have not been optimized for performance and that include a
lot of debugging code.

5.3 is the first release of the 5.x series for which the developers have
stated that they have removed some (most?) debugging code and have made
important performance releases.