lpr error messages

Richard Lynch ceo at l-i-e.com
Wed Sep 29 19:43:19 PDT 2004

Gary Schenk wrote:
> I cannot print from either X or the command line. It was working
> fine until a few hours ago. Any suggestions on where to start
> on this would be much appreciated.
>
> Here is an example:
>
> bash-2.05b$ lpr test.txt
> /usr/bin/lpr: line 12: */5: No such file or directory
> /usr/bin/lpr: line 15: 0: command not found
> /usr/bin/lpr: line 18: 1: command not found
> /usr/bin/lpr: line 19: 15: command not found
> /usr/bin/lpr: line 20: 30: command not found
> /usr/bin/lpr: line 25: 1,31: command not found
> /usr/bin/lpr: line 28: 1: command not found
>
> lptest > /dev/lpt0 produces output to the printer.
>
> bash-2.05b$ grep lpd_enable /etc/rc.conf
> lpd_enable="YES"
>
> I'm thinking that /usr/bin/lpr must be corrupted. I'm not
> sure how to go about testing that theory, or what to do
> if that is the case. I've searched the list archives and
> googled to no avail.

The way I read this, lpr is expecting to get a PostScript file, and you
are feeding it a TEST file.

I'm even willing to bet that on line 12 of your text file, there is a */5,
which lpr is valiantly attempting to interpret as a PostScript command.

Similarly, the other lines mentioned in the error output above indicate
that all the other lines in your text file start with integers such as 0,
1, 15, etc.

So all you really need to do now is find some way to convert your TEXT
file to a PostScript file.  Or convince lpr that it should accept text
files, and somehow convert them internally to PostScript.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm