"ad2: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=5855"

bsdfsse bsdfsse at optonline.net
Tue Sep 28 21:52:04 PDT 2004

Well, I think I found the problem.

FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x do not like my new Asus P4SP-MX (Celeron)
motherboard's IDE controller.

I "fixed" this by using a leftover Adaptec 1200A Raid controller as an
"alternate IDE controller".  I plugged the 3 HD's in to the 1200A, and I
no longer get the DMA errors.

I havent' tried the DVD drive, but I expect I will get the DMA errors,
since it is still connected to the mobo. I installed via FTP, so I
didn't use the CD's.

There was another problem with using some Compaq RAM chips on the
Celeron, doing so generates Signal 11's in addition to the DMA errors. I
guess I will buy some new RAM for the machine, if the functioning 128MB
isn't enough for it.

I have another machine, a Compaq Presario 6024 (P4 1.8Ghz).  It has 3
big (Western Digital) drives, and is also running FBSD 5.3-Beta6 - and
it does *not* get the DMA errors.

My laptop (Toshiba 2805-S301) also runs Beta6 fine.

Only my Asus P4SP-MX mobo has the DMA errors.

thx!