pf for FreeBSD

Ed Budd ebudd at grokking.org
Tue Sep 28 14:33:44 PDT 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:54:18 +0200
Cristi Tauber <cristi.tauber at sbhost.ro> wrote:

>             hello folks,
>     i want to install the packet filter for FreeBSD so i recompile the
> kernel with the options :
>
> device          bpf
> options         PFIL_HOOKS
> options         RANDOM_IP_ID
>
>      and installed pf from ports ( i did a cvsup before installing to
> get the latest ports). Now my dilemma is ... in pf start script ... i
> have to enter a prefix ... but what prefix, 'cause after installing
> and rebooting .... the modules that I want to load are still in source
> directory . I installed pf with

Does the prefix by chance refer to the full path to the script (i.e.
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/pf.sh)? Read the comments in the script; it will
tell you what you need to do to /etc/rc.conf to get things started on
bootup.

>    make  WITH_ALTQ=yes
>    make install

I've been running pf on two separate FBSD 5.2.1 boxes for weeks without
adding this switch. Only thing that doesn't work that great is spamd
logging but otherwise I prefer pf over ipf and ipfw any day -- even on
a ported OS...

Cheers,

EB