How can I route through a pc that is also using a router??

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Tue Sep 28 05:57:38 PDT 2004

> My workstation and the testmachine both belongs to the
> same subnet:
>
> Here are the details:
>
> workstation --> 10.10.8.110
> testmachine --> 10.10.8.111
>
> Gateway --> 10.10.8.254
>
> DNS ---> 202.90.128.3
>          202.90.158.101
>
> Proxy ---> 202.90.128.14   Port: 3128

First, enable bridging in your kernel, by adding:

options BRIDGE

Then add the following to /etc/sysctl.conf:

net.link.ether.bridge.enable=1
net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw=1
net.link.ether.bridge_cfg=xl0,xl1

...assuming xl0 and xl1 are your two physical interfaces.

If you do not have IPFW enabled on the test gateway, leave out the
line that says bridge_ipfw=1 in sysctl.conf.

You can't route through the test gateway, as it is on the same subnet
as everything else (both sides of it), so you must bridge it. Now you
are in a position to tap into the bitstream for ALL network traffic.

HTH,

Steve