help please

Phil Schulz ph.schulz at gmx.de
Sun Sep 26 17:02:34 PDT 2004

Aaron wrote:
> I will like to thank you before hand for what you are doing for bsd user.
>
>   I am a new bsd user who is trying to learn how to buil a kernel or custimize
> it. I am reading the book absolute bsd and I am using 5.1 version
> . I followed the step in configuring my kernel. I ran the cvsup update before
> trying to build the kernel so everything will be up to date. However, I am
> getting these messeges
>
> SecondAdvent# cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> SecondAdvent# ls
> GENERIC         Makefile        OLDCARD         SECONDADVENT
> GENERIC.hints   NOTES           PAE             gethints.awk
> SecondAdvent# config SECONDADVENT
> ERROR: version of config(8) does not match kernel!
> config version = 500012, version required = 600000
[...]

  According to the handbook [1], the method you use is obsolete. The
kernel should be rebuild using "make buildkernel". I'm not sure, though,
if rebuilding the kernel in "the new way" solves your problem.
  Judging from the Amazon webpage, the book you have came out in 2002,
so I assume it describes the 4.x series of FreeBSD. You might want to
read Chapter 8 [2] of the handbook, which describes how to rebuild your
kernel. Also, you might find Section 19.4 [3] useful, which describes
how to rebuild the base system. After rebuilding the system, take a look
at portupgrade.

> Here is the output of uname -a
> SecondAdvent# uname -a
> FreeBSD SecondAdvent.hvc.rr.com 5.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE #0:[...]

  Make sure you read /usr/src/UPDATING if you go from 5.1-Release to a
newer version. Lots of changes went in since then. If you have a
broadband internet connection, you might find it easier to download the
ISO image of the most recent 5.3-BETA built and go from there.

HTH,

Phil.

[1]http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html
[2]http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html
[3]http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

--
Did you know...

If you play a Windows 2000 CD backwards, you hear satanic messages,
but what's worse is when you play it forward....
                                      ...it installs Windows 2000

   -- Alfred Perlstein on chat at freebsd.org