your mail

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Sep 25 04:18:37 PDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 10:55:04PM -0700, vola wrote:
> I have a  question.
> Not long ago i have download the FreeBsd 4.10 operetion system.
> By the installation i have problems.
> I put the cd into the cd-rom and I restarted the computer.
> The computer boot from the cd and the installation began.
> It looks all ok - the computer was  loading. But then had stop all.
> The last massage was "reading time out" (or somthing like this)
> and the next massage was "resething deveises".
> I think it has somethink to do with my hard drive ( Maxtor 40GB ).

Hmmm... well, there are several reasons you could see something like
this.  It sounds to me more like a problem with the hard drive
controller on your system, rather than the disk itself.  You don't say
anything about the make and model of hardware you're trying to install
on, which would be useful.

A couple of things to look at.  Check the BIOS settings on the system
carefully: generally you should turn off PNP and there are various
other settings to fiddle with.

If your system uses S-ATA then you're going to have difficulties using
4.10-RELEASE -- you should try 5.3-RELEASE (once it comes out in
October) or one of the 5.3-BETAS if you're impatient.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way