`pkg_info | grep -i openssh` ; echo "2.9 vs 3.0.2?"

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Sep 24 08:50:38 PDT 2004

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002 00:00:55 -0800 (PST)
Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster at Video2Video.Com> wrote:

> prompt$ pkg_info | grep -i openssh
> openssh-3.0.2       OpenBSD's secure shell client and server (remote
> login prog
>
> I just upgraded (or tried to upgrade) openssh on my FreeBSD
> 4.5-RELEASE box using /stand/sysinstall but I get this (ver. 2.9??)
> when I type:
>
> prompt$ ssh -V
> OpenSSH_2.9 FreeBSD localisations 20011202, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0,
> OpenSSL 0x0090601f
>
> pkg_help -r --source majordomo?  ;-)

Probably the simplest way to upgrade to 3.1 (which seems to be advisable
in itself) is

Get the source tarball from
ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/openssh-3.1p1.tar.gz
 Unzip it.
tar -zxvf openssh-3.1p1.tar.gz
CD to the new directory
cd openssh-3.1p1
Configure it with the following parameters
./configure --with-pam --sysconfdir=/etc/ssh --prefix=/usr
make; make install
killall -HUP sshd

I posted about this recently, and someone mentioned that there is a way
to get the same result by using ports and referred me to another web
page.  After looking at that page, it seemed to me that this way is far
less work.(This solution given me by Michael Smith, as I don't want to
steal the credit)

Thanks
Scott Robbins